Monday, December 23, 2013

The Perks of Working at Home

I've recently began a new job (with an old company) that has some interesting perks -- or at least what I think are perks. The one I wanted to dive into now being the perk of working from home.

As a 24-year old, closet bum dresser, you can see where the appeal lay when I heard I would be working from home. Up to this point, I've only had the typical office setting, Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 5: 30 pm (although 5:30 many times turned into 6 and 6:30). As I hinted, sweatpants and oversized tshirts are my ideal wardrobe. I would be okay wearing that 90% of my life. My previous office settings have been fairly casual with jeans the norm and shorts accepted. Still, I felt that I had to look semi-presentable around other humans.

Not. Any. More.

It's been one week of working from home, and I'm expected to work from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. The past Friday, I woke up at 7:57 am and still made it to work on time and by work I mean my laptop that was 10 feet away. An added plus is that on my fifteen minute breaks I can take a shower or do the dishes or finish up that Netflix episode. A homebody girl's dream come true.

Also, I can eat lunch while working, and then on my hour break run to the gym or the grocery or shopping - mostly shopping. It makes for quite the productive day!

But is it all fun and games?

I'm not sure I can quite answer that yet. My only concern is that I'll lose total touch with humanity. My favorite past time is laying in my bed, so I'm not the type of person that needs 24/7 human interaction. But still the office life does give me a reason to speak to other humans (instead of just speaking to my cat). I am required to go into the office once a month, but that's negligent.

We'll see how this work from home thing pans out. I may lose what little is left of my mind. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment